Always Plan Your Kitchen DIY
Deciding to remodel your kitchen, can become an expensive exercise if you do not plan it accordingly. It doesn’t matter if your house is a new one, 10 years old house or even 100 years old, when it comes to modernizing the house you will definitely encounter challenging tasks. We want to mitigate this stress as much as possible for you, so that you can get on with whipping up that world famous roast dinner.
The difficult tasks all depend on the scope of the renovation you intend to do because modernizing can be a simple and straight forward task if you are focusing on merely improving the aesthetics. If you are like other home owners who don’t feel like they have started DIY until they have knocked down a few walls, then this article is not for you. It’s for the smart property investor (focused more on capital gains than nice kitchens) or budget conscious families out there who are looking for the most cost effective modernization tips for the kitchen.
To easily modernize your kitchen, you need:
- New Theme planned out
- Potted plants, real or fake
- Spice Rack
Modernizing Your Kitchen
Reduce the Pattern
Try not to use large patterns of wallpaper because it can make your kitchen look darker and appear much smaller.
- First thing that you can do to modernize your kitchen area is by applying a new paint to the kitchen walls.Make sure to always use light colors so that you can create a look of a larger kitchen.
- You can use borders, half walls; whole walls with scalloped or flitted edges that can definitely help you create some texture onto your kitchen walls.
- The next step is to use a new kind of wallpaper that can match either your new or old kitchen theme.
- Always choose a new kitchen theme which can work with the rest of the house or if you are renovating from scratch, has a consistent theme.
- What ever theme it is, if it’s a small kitchen avoid clutter and focus on minimalist colours as well as patterns top give the illusion of size.
- For a quick modern looking kitchen try replacing and updating the door handles to your cabinets and drawers.
- If you have a little extra in your budget then try purchasing consistent appliances which match the overall look of the kitchen.
- Next, you can also add new flooring to your kitchen.
- Some of the styles that you can choose to create a modern look include laminate, laminate wood, and vinyl (believe it or not they actually have some pretty cool options these days)
- If you are lucky enough to have solid wooden floors then you should consider getting these sanded and varnished.
- Besides that, you can also add a new table cloth along with new tabletop accessories.
- Another item that you can make use of, is to get a new rug that can add colour, warmth and character to your design.
- A new towel or even other kitchen items suitable for you new kitchen’s them can also help modernize the look of your kitchen.
- Make sure that the pots or vases that you use also match the colours and theme of your new look kitchen.
- You can even insert any of your old family photos along with the picture frames.
- Place them above the stove, sink or even at the eating area.
- Try adding a new table cloth along with new tabletop accessories
- In order to add life into your kitchen area, you can simply add a new picture frame which also matches the kitchen theme.
- A wooden or a steel spice rack can also be added to your kitchen to modernize it.
- If you want to go that step further then try including a few fresh herbs grown from some small pots on your window sill. Just remember not to place in direct sunlight
Whenever you want to modernize your kitchen the first thing you must do is to analyze the condition of your kitchen and not the items or existing belongings.
- Determine which areas of the kitchen need updating. You need to check the condition of the walls of the kitchen, if it is made if gypsum board and studs, you only need to do light patching of holes and update it with new paint color.
- You can start to collate some ideas by browsing through your favorite home magazine or using trusty old Google to provide you with some inspiration in modernizing your kitchen.
- The usage of lighting fixtures can also help your kitchen. You can also update your ceiling, sconces along with your bathroom fixtures that can provide a more modern look and also create a much efficient light to the area. If you have a dark area, you should consider adding skylights or solar tubes to areas.