Fixing the Cracked Concrete is Crucial
Your cracked concrete could have happened due to: over use, accidents or a natural disaster, but cracked concrete should be fixed as soon as it starts to appear so as to avoid compromising the structure itself. There are many ways to fix the floor, but it all depends on where it is located; in the house or outside the house.
In general, a garage concrete floor can crack because of the stress placed by cars and foot traffic, as this is the place which is often used as a general storage, keeping a washer and dryer and also to park a car. You can do it yourself or if necessary have someone professional and capable to do it. Either way, you are more likely to learn something by doing it yourself or at least understanding the process so you know more when a professional comes round.
You will need:
- Dry concrete mix
- Cement trowel
- Wire brush
- Large bucket
- Plastic tarp or wood
- First, use a hammer and a chisel with a width of about 2.5 cms to widen the crack. Make sure that the interior of the crack is wider than the top edges in the widening process.
- Widening up the crack will help the patch to form a pyramid shape as it dries. The pyramid shape will make the patch more stable. When the widening step is finished, soak the crack and the surrounding concrete thoroughly with the hose for about an hour.
- Then clean up any excess water around the crack (you can use a water vacuum to make this extraction a little easier). Brush away any dust or debris in or around the crack with the wire brush. Meanwhile, mix the dry concrete with water in a bucket.
- Follow the concrete mix package’s instructions to form the concrete patch. When the patch is mixed, you should make sure that the consistency is such as a very thick mud.
- Next, fill the patch into the crack using a putty knife. When the crack is full, even it out so the top of the concrete is even.
- Leave the crack to dry for about an hour, covering it with a plastic tarp or wood for about five days. Wet the area thoroughly under the wood or tarp once per day with the hose. Clean up any excess water (again the water vacuum can be used in this instance).